Rainy Day Thoughts

It’s raining here in Dallas, and around 40 degrees outside. It legitimately feels like the northwest and I’m not even mad. I’ve been breaking out my sweaters and cozy socks and cuddling with my cat on the couch while doodling and doing laundry. It’s not bad at all.

I was just sitting here thinking how bizarre life is and how it only gets more interesting with time. Mine certainly has been all over the place as of late, and in the quiet moments, I’m grateful for every single experience. Each experience makes me slightly less boring, and I think more compassionate and self aware. 

Last week I had a job. I didn’t tell many people, because honestly there’s so many unwarranted opinions, and I just wanted to see if it would work out. It didn’t, but I’m still glad I attempted. For 4 days last week I had a job as a server at a local restaurant/bar (primarily bar) within walking distance from my apartment. I am 26 and have never attempted to be a server at any point, all of my expertise is in call center/office work. Nonetheless, I was willing to try a new venture since life is short and $100 a Day sounded pretty sweet. So I did the online trainings, paid for my TABC and Food Handlers  Card. I did the trainings, served tables, attempted not to spill things and tried my best to act like a natural. Still, I just didn’t match the lifestyle of the people around me. I TOTALLY could’ve made it work, I was memorizing the menu, had the system down and was learning ways to improve service. I just didn’t want to. The hours were rough and I would be working opposite shifts of my husband and sister. It didn’t seem worth it to me. I am grateful that I tried it though, because you know what? It’s really a lot more work than I realized. Servers work for 8 hour shifts on their feet, rarely take breaks, and work funky hours to make a living. I really have no idea how some people make it look so effortless. Next time you go to a sit down restaurant, please be kind to your server and for the love of all that is good, tip well. 

Comments

Popular Posts